Before

May the 4th be with me? 

I think it was. First going to see JC, who now works at the YHA on Euston Road, opposite the British Library, who was very happy to see me - I got a proper happy feeling seeing that warm honest individual!

Then a fantastic hours walk to Spitalfields, via Smithfield, Farringdon and the  Barbican Centre to The English Restaurant to wait for Michael - where I got lost a little unable to locate the cafĂ© I used to frequent (it was the same but had become a restaurant since 2009 absorbing the next door establishment). I drank a couple of halves to keep the pennies...

The proprietor - called Kay - was a great warm lady originally from Oxford, with a place on Ramsgate, and living above the premise and it would be nice to return there for some food on the 13th before heading to Cambridge or if we just stay in London?

Next down through Tower Hill to Monument and over new London Bridge (which replaces the ones which have fallen down and the one which was taken to the USA in sections)... To Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market and the Rake. After a fantastic Margherita Pizza at Franco Manco (2*pizza and 2*wine £30) I went and said hello to Richard and Mike of Utobeer fame. All this London and I've still got good friends in it - and I make new ones regularly?

Just awaiting Michael to come down for coffee, to get us on the road, find a large breakfast and walk to Leatherhead.

***

An hour down with Michael. A few misturns around The Elephant and Castle until we walked through Walworth to Camberwell for a full English breakfast @ Love Walk(£11) money well spent. Great traditional sausage, large back bacon, egg, beans, Portobello mushroom, etc. And a nice pot of tea. Next stop Dulwich where we will begin to head south west, rather than south, towards Epsom...

I hope our conversation isn't too metaphysical... All those thoughts I have on the way are escaping from my mouth quite a lot, and fairly indescreate.

Coffee and banana cake for two from Tribe Cafe on Streatham High Street (£7.20) much needed elevensies!

Very good chickpea curry with paratha and Pilau rice in Casuarina Tree just before we cross the Wandle River on London Road, Mitcham.

It's all about food!

Comments

Popular Posts