1st October, over that pass!

October is here. The year is nearing its end and it'll soon be the winter solstice. The weather is about to change here too. Later today there will be thunderstorms and heavy rain, but I expect to be done for today by then?

This morning I've eaten two eggs and home made baked beans, made last night, as I'm bored of bread and jam. Done and dusted so I depart for yonder mountains: it's not yet sunrise and outside there is a breeze.

The silence of the mountains. The only sound the rustling of leaves, the buzzing of flies, the faraway call of a bird and the swish of a falling leaf!

The old couple were ahead of me and I don't understand that at all. Coming down of the mountain trail Deer Keds are everywhere; I am beginning to look forward to the lowlands! All this forest, with the majestic beech trees growing tall, has many threats to one's sanity!

The first "Hameu" for sometime and it has a mineral spring flowing: refreshing and cool, enough to push me on. Suddenly I see heather by the roadsides and I really adore honey from this flower!

To my left up the valley to where the peaks are I can hear more stags and here I swoop to reach for a cluster of fallen sweet chestnuts.

Yesterday afternoon someone stopped their car alongside me and asked me if I wanted a lift, after a little consideration, I said no and I then felt like slapping myself!

On the other side of the pass there are more clouds, and I think I'm in continental France, or France Océanique, where the weather has another god dictating it, and it is one of the watersheds for the rivers which find their was to the Atlantic; and then I round a bend and the wind is more intense and there are more windfall chestnuts.

Six hours none stop up the mountain trail and the down into the beginning of the end of this madness? I've no idea how long to carry on. There is an option of return to the UK via Tarbes on Saturday, however I've until the 10th at the latest to be back in Leeds for Emotional Support and another visit with the GP. At the moment it goes as I stop for a sandwich and a beer.

Comments

Popular Posts