Part Two. Day Five.

Monday morning and the refuse collection truck has me awake before my alarm. The bedding the hostel provides to sleep in is utterly pointless: paper thin, but it's to prevent bed bugs. It doesn't work/match up with rubber coated mattresses to be honest. My back was attached to the bedding all night and it had to be peeled off several times when I was so coated in sweat it woke me.

Last night I returned to the Hostel after finishing an excellent read about trees, The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohllebe (which really brings home how incredibly arrogant is our relationships with the denizens of woods and forests), and now I've an item less to carry in the backpack: hurray. Part of me says leave the LePere guidebook, for the route I am walking, too as it is out of date (2016). I have all the information at my disposal on my phone and l would've set off without a guide if there hadn't been one in the Gîte in Béziers; I'll ponder that a while: passing the waste bins out of Carcassonne!

Actually I feel much more real this morning, without fatigue or aches and I heard no mosquitoes through the night so it was an essentially undisturbed night, except for moments when I was temporarily glued to the bedding.

The days are getting shorter, which means I've a little longer in bed and less chance of an overwhelmingly hot day? After the storms of the previous two days perhaps "usual" French weather can return and help me get going?

In my haste to bed last night I forgot I'd need PdJ earlier than seven. Oh well, that's life? The night guy gives me good strong gut busting coffee and some bread. Last night I ate an omelette in the centre and recalled another cheaper way ahead: boiled eggs!

Comments

Popular Posts