Twelve.

Stopped for a snack at Charly now have four hours walking to reach Chamont. The Gîte communal was open. So I took a credencial stamp and a couple of 25cl Kronenbourg. Back on the way as the wind picks up again. More of a country way today, this morning. Drovers path heading north west and mostly up.

My food ran out as I froze solid on a picnic table, on a cross roads before heading on a muddy track into a forest. After a bit of trying to hide away from the stiff Bisse I thought better, so continued on, eating the remainder of the Emmental and drinking both of the petite beers.

There weren't any shops, banks, boulangerie at all and, although I'm finally horizontal, the last few kilometres were very steep and totally exhausting.

The Gîte is simple, but I'm on my own today which isn't really a bad thing. The toilet is outside and below here, and it's one of those toilets you crouch down on. Haven't seen one of them in ages. Quite funny really - squatting is pretty normal if truth be told, but we're all so used to a throne instead. Some years ago I read it was better for our bodies to crouch to have a crap. The French may know something we don't? It's a bit cold in here, but I've a heater at the foot of my bed.

The lady who runs here had to take me to the next town, Frangy, to get cash out and the Credit Mutuel ate my card and kept my money. Luckily the branch was open, but now I've got to make sure they don't take the funds off me as they could give me back the card but not the cash. Took ages to sort it out and I had no problem at Credit Agricole. For €18 I've a place to myself. It includes petit dejourner and a can of some lentil stew - classic French grub in a can which you can't really criticise as it's better than any equivalent in a can in the UK (I don't know about Fortnam and Mason's though).

Comments

Popular Posts