Julia Elizabeth, deceased.

Tracing a line backwards, from the knowledge of Julia's passing away and my initial memories of her in my life, I can recall her being a caring diligent sibling.

The 12 years between us made her seem all-knowingly bright, and someone I could really look up to, as my big sister. She was someone who responded to me and I reciprocated enthusiastically.

My first memory is of being in a booth in Harrogate train station having a photo taken with Emma, in a duffel coat, sat on Julia's lap pulling faces at the awaited flash. I was probably 7 or 8 then. The photos are still around somewhere (in a box filled with memories) capturing a frozen instant of joy formed fresh from a novel experience.

Julia gave me many memories like that until something inside broke and I saw a girl become a woman in pain - which was a burden too hard for her, or anyone, to carry.

Mostly I will remember her sharing experiences truthfully and without malice, not absentmindedly or distracted from my need to know.

As I was passing through Perth, and adolescence into adulthood, one of the final time I saw Julia we ate 'lollies' on a Saturday evening watching a BBC period drama being televised on ABC - it was 1999; she loved peanut M&Ms.

Until recently we conversed regularly then, as is so often the case, I did or said something which caused a separation between us. And now I am sincerely sorry I didn't take the time to patch up our differences as I never meant us to part on such absymal terms!

Rest now in the "Peace" you so preciously sought in life, Julia, my big sister!

Comments

Janet Sherburn said…
Glad you remembered the times that mattered ...when times were different and long ago.. XX

Popular Posts