Day Two

Getting to sleep is currently a difficulty, but once away ... It's deep and refreshing. Up before the alarm once more. I rarely sleep beyond 6 here. I love dawn so it's ideal.

As the weather forecast looks foul for a few days I do wonder about where I am going, and why? In the past I was gravitating towards Catholicism or, even, Christianity. But I just can't get my head around belief, or faith; I am faithful to Lola...

In a few more days I will be in Chartres and will consider my next actions: France has presidential elections from the 10th April...

...

Waiting for pain at 6:50am. Sounds indecent at this time of morning. Just a food ration. And I am still waiting... Am I waiting for pain? Lingering in an Abbey expecting excruciating torment. I am tormented by my inability to speak French less like a halfwit, de-dum.

My guts are alive this morning, gurgling away, from the cheese and yogurt last night: and the difficult conversation with Evan - who appeared to be accusing me of something in his comments. Perhaps he judged me a fool?

Eventually Evan turned out to be interesting. He is a scientist up in the local 'silicon valley', but lives in Paris and has a farm - keeps bees, in Brittany. I must return to Brittany... 2000 is a long time ago. He realised I was a pilgrim so was a little less sneering.

But I never know what a person is thinking so I projected onto him what I would have him be? That's the problem with perception - it's all an illusion. Yesterday was a long day, walking out of Paris, but that was yesterday. Today I am on the way again: the sun is shining - I will be following the road to where it leads, leaving the past to fall away.

***

Time to toilet and then depart. Feeling a little stronger now. This morning, because there is nowhere to stay between here and Chartres, I felt that why bother? But really I can deal with the problem because French people are so helpful towards pilgrims: it's easy to forget how genuine they are (probably not all which is, like all generalisations, sweeping).

Weak coffee: my fault for putting only three spoons in the device. But I am passing Orsy shortly, where I will withdraw funds. Looking back I only spent €3 in Paris, which is €3 more than I spent in Geneva...

Comments

Popular Posts