Kirchberg to Gonzerath, raining!

Today was a challenge. From the very first moment the heaven's kept tanking down on me so I couldn't take in any of the Roman remains or little deviations suggested along the Römer Straße. The one village I passed through for lunch wasn't an option as the Gasthaus wouldn't be open until five. When I'd just about lost it, and took a wrong turn, a bus shelter came to my rescue so I could change out of an exceedingly wet base layer. The lady from the Pilgerherberge yesterday did say that there was nothing from leaving Kirchberg until I arrived in Gonzerath, but when she said nothing I kind of thought she meant something, but just not very much! My breakfast wasn't enough and what I brought with me was cold and not enough. Once I'd changed out of as many wet clothes as was possible I'd just about resigned myself to trudging hopeless with yet another storm blowing straight at me! Because I really needed to reach Hochscheid, in the hope it housed somewhere warm to hide a while, I'd left the Ansonius Weg and stuck to the main road. But once I left the bus shelter that plan left me with one choice - onwards. Strangely though, just as I was heading out of the shelter, a load of people were getting out from cars and heading in one general direction: towards a house on the left. They looked at my sorry state and one gentleman said 'come along' as he was sure the lady of the house would give me some soup, a cup of tea and some time to warm through. He said 'its a funeral wake', but the soup was actually a Daal and it was the best I'd had ever! It's odd how it seems fate led me to them not too early nor too late. If I hadn't gone the unofficial way I'd have arrived in Hochscheid without any idea that there was this Providence behind the black door. Now I've got a bed for the night in a B&B which is €35 (Alte Schule), I only paid €10 in the Pilgerherberge last night and the previous night, in the Brüderapartement, it was nothing. It balances out. But it's still difficult to eat, eat and sleep (Miam, Miam, Dodo) on the €1 a kilometre rate that France, Spain and Portugal allows! Having hitched to Morbach to get cash for the B&B - they don't use bank cards much here in Germany - I'm waiting until the local Gasthaus opens at 5pm in a Bäckerei. The B&B doesn't start breakfast until 8am so I get a little lie in, but tomorrow's destination is Fell which might be my fall if the weather persists!

A smile spread from ear to ear as a 12 week old Ridgeback puppy came around the corner just in time to lift my mood from where it was heading! Two more days until Trier, but then I can't say.

Comments

Popular Posts