etapa 2. afternoon

 "In  Sax,  there  is  a  famous  medieval  castle…  that  I  never  visited,  because  I  was  too  lazy,  staying in  my  luxurious  hotel  room  or  eating  ice-cream  in  one  of  the  bars  in  town." After thirty odd kilometres I too won't be heading up to the Castello either!

Checked into the Hotel, which is a sting at €35, this does include a proper breakfast, however I can't have it until 8am. The room has Aircon shutters and blinds so I expect I won't have a problem sleeping until the beep of my alarm, which I've set for 7:30: last night was pretty bad for an albergue as the street lights poured in, the bed was very short and the wind was intense!

Tomorrow I must find a more reasonably priced option. The list of places suggests Caudete. In which case this is the way I'm heading. In Caudete there is a member of the Camino Association of Amigos, and he'll definitely be able to help me with a bed, it's to the north of the suggested route but when needs must?

Soon I will cross into La Mancha which seems somehow romantic, Hemingway, or is it just more parched land. The last few years have really begun to desertify this area of Spain. It's ideal if you want to lay around getting skin cancer, but it's a bit difficult under foot as there is little give on the rubble strewn Via Pecuaría.

It's definitely time for beer. Alhambra reserva 1925 and an obligatory serving of olives. But that's brilliant. Imagine being given something free in England? Over here it's part of the service!

Comments

Popular Posts