Being deposited by the Multibanco.

Slept until the dawn was crawling upon my eyelids. The first. So quiet up here, but cold. Blue skies, mainly. It was blowing a gale as I fell away from puddles, voices and fears. Then I grabbed the additional blanket in a half waking moment. Things are still damp which I washed last night so I wear them to use body heat to dry. I've four layers on: we're not in The Algarve now, for sure? But these layers won't last once António deposits me the other side of the river/stream/brook. The roads come up here, but they don't go on. A dead end, cul-de-sac, rural idyll: Amendoeira da Serra - off-roading.

Home baked bread in the taverna de Maria overlooking the hamlet, without igreja. António bought his Citroen from a padre, as he departed these lands on the edge of Portugal...

This was the end of getting into the feeling of being el Camino. From Castro Marim the feeling of being with spirit has grown as the number of cars, traffic, people has faded into a trickle. This toast is ideal for me. Home baked reminds me of my father's mother and Sundays in Rawmarsh where the Sherburn clan ate heartily of bread and dripping, Yorkshire pudding, roast, rhubarb crumble and then rummy on the parlour table for tuppence per bet; there was a Rediffusion switch on the wall for cable ideas in the 1970s which never materialised.

On to the third slice of home baked bread as my stomach awakes and the birds trill to the coming sun. I said I'd knock on António's door at 8. He opens the door and Rebite disappears into the morning. Such a handsome soul which switches me back to Lola, Ruby and Archie: I am very fond of those canine companions!

He dropped me off in the first village/town so I can access the Multibanco. I gave him back 15€ which he gave me last night. He said if ever I am in Albufeira... Definitely. Bon Voyage - it was a little stream this time but the ravine was steep and his car hesitated a little, but Citroen C15 no problem with a little encouragement. Now he returns to pick cogumelo as they are currently in season. It's chilly on the plains and it was pissing it down as we came up from the steep ravine...

Comments

Popular Posts