Caen

I still can't cross the Pegasus Bridge! Although a bagpiper was playing around the cluster of people and the hanging of flags. On that side industry and the canalixlzed Orne this side a Château and the canal.

Straight walk into Caen and I've decided to stay a night. At the Postern gate is the old quarter. Indeed I am sat having a coffee, sheltering from the dark clouds and occasional downpours, at La Poterne, where I will stay for repase. Booked in to an Airbnb with an actual host! That's quite rare now I find as they are usually just holiday let apartments(€42).

A pile of Jambon which I took to be a roast ham, but my next door neighbour look to have Gammon. I definitely had a higher pile of ham with frites and a cidre sauce: reminds me of mums. She doesn't use cider, but mustard and onions and liquid.

Great Airbnb host. Perfect place. Had a puppy and two ferrets for company. Slept well until 6. Down to Paul bakery where it's yogurt, pain au raisin, Zumo Naranja and two allongé beneath blue skies as the sun creeps over. This is the street where I spent a good deal of yesterday afternoon (Place Malherbe), before heading to bed. But with a filthy head I must head to Bayeux where this trip, possibly the last for a few months, will end as I start my journey back to sunny Leeds on Thursday, by hauling myself to Amiens once more, where the problems reside!

Comments

Popular Posts