Dieppe and chips

Straight ahead morning towards Neufchâtel en Bray, where I think I may struggle to get a reasonably priced bed for the evening, even if one is available in this tourist town. Normandy definitely is geared towards gastronomy and hospitality. It's beautiful, but not a million miles off Sussex or Kent in feeling and look... As I am heading north now, and not to Rouen, I wonder if I shouldn't head over the channel in the morning? Call it a day? Ideally walking to Dieppe Wednesday and Thursday before the ferry on Friday morning would conclude this unusual few days walking during a heatwave...

There are buses, but not until 5pm and at 13:45 I'd just be drunk, and probably miss the bus. So auto-stop?
...
Yes. I hitched. If I was younger, and spoke better French, the girl who was going home from LeClerc towards Dieppe and who dropped me on the harbour side, would've had made us very happy. But she stopped to take me forward and didn't need to take me all the way, I was prepared to wait, but did because even young French people care.

After a gorgeous entercôte for lunch it was moules marinerie for supper. Tomorrow I am definitely catching the morning ferry to Newhaven. I'll run out of money before Friday if I am in tourist mode. I walked around 120 kilometres and feel more real for it, but Sussex London or Cambridge and Leeds beckon - and obviously Lola!

Comments

Popular Posts