Dawn chorus.

Mike told me about a market in China, he visited, which dealt in "exotic" birds, who met their end, forlorn, in a Chop Suey, and we must ask ourselves why we think this is ever OK?

Behind the padlocked gate, and locked door, of a battery farm is the not-so-exotic Chicken: who we deal with in a similarly ruthless manner - to incorporate into a Sunday roast or Southern Fried Chicken - and I ask myself the same question. Why do we think this is ever OK?

The irrational answer given usually consists of an arrogant "because I like it", yet I would contend that this is a world where we are all one - you, I, Lola and the dawn chorus I'm listening to - and I shouldn't like what I am doing to "I" because the results can only ever be horror: Corona Virus is where this has led us?

Yet I cannot dictate to anyone, because all life consumes matter to persist in existence! All the way up from single cellular to multicellular and, indeed, solar, interstellar and pan-galatic. However I don't know that Lola, or the early bird catching the worm, "like" what they are forced to consume, to pass on their heredity, and continue the long and winding road of evolution.

Humanity is divorcing itself from evolution by any means, fair or foul, which cannot be good? Yet we are a product of evolution and it's mindless savagery.

Comments

Popular Posts