Ash Wednesday, evening.

Ash Wednesday in Flieden means I struggled to find dinner! Until I went into a florist and was instructed up the hill to Gasthaus Zentrum. The pilgerherberge has only a bed and a toilet area so I can't go and self cater. Perhaps the next etape will provide me the opportunity to save money that way? Well I could sit on this tiled room and eat from a can, but I'd like a little humanity to face and not four walls as all I've met all day was Poseidon in his ethereal sphere.

Ash Wednesday means no meat, which I think is in accord to what I believe Lent forbids, however for a moment I thought that it was for all 40 days and I really don't eat fish this far from the sea! Really it's not up to me this evening and, as fatigue takes me, I'll just eat whatever then go and crash on the narrow bed! Tomorrow isn't Ash Wednesday and my trial is walking with a backpack pushing 10 kilograms without the addition of snow as it lingers then melts into the sack!

And now I'm fit to burst. The last mouthful and the last third of the glass of beer were too much! Now at seven I will return to the bed, brush my teeth (first time since I left Mike and Steffi because I didn't manage to get to a supermarket until this afternoon) and sleep heavily. There is a trunk road passing the vicarage and church but it isn't North Street Sheepscar so I expect less sirens?

The first day is done and, as it continues to sleet outside, I'm ready for a deeply restful sleep without curtains on the windows ... and a damp bed!

Comments

Popular Posts