Closer to being.

So tired this morning. Being in the Mercado, as the day begins, isn't a sign I am awake! Clearly as I yawn over my cup I'm having troubles. What could I do without coffee on a morning when my whole body is reaching for oxygen. My right shin is aching this morning too. Inflammation requires rest. Today is only 16 kilometres. Is this rest? Some people who walk everyday on Camino walk less some days and consider that a rest.

Back on my first Camino I had a 15 kilometre day before I reached Aumont-Aubrac and then had a day off before the day I got caught in a snow/hail/sleet storm in May 2013. When I saw the Tour Anglais in Aubrac at 1300 metres I was so relieved! Once I deposited my backpack in the Tour I realized everything in my sack was drenched!

***

That was as much as I could do. I've never been so wet. I was walking in buckets of water as the rain poured into my boots. For the final five kilometres I couldn't feel my feet or hands and the cold was spreading up my arms and legs. And I couldn't see very far ahead: but in the rain I saw the tower of a church so I stuck with it. As my feet touched asphalt I knew I had made it ... Just about. Now it was essential I found somewhere to change out everything bringing a chill on! Just as my energy was out I arrived at the Plaza Major and the Ayuntemento. Never have I stripped to my pants before six seƱoras, but I didn't care!

A lady drove me to the Hotel suggested for peregrinos without shoes or socks on my feet and now the blue skies spread from the west! At one I am finished today and, unless my boots are dry by tomorrow, I may be stuck here until Saturday? It's on a day like today I wish I had the spare money to purchase a pair of light walking boots...

***

How cleansed I feel? It's truly the "best" part of The Way! Nearly meeting the end, being reduced to tears and then the whole world opening up! And the guy who is looking after me in the hotel gave me a bowl of Chicken soup! This is warming me up!

Comments

Popular Posts