Forty-two.

Another pilgrim. I saw him ahead and thought he was the guy who comes from Prague who has walked out of Copenhagen, when I caught him up he's another German Swiss, but not as dark or as glum as the one I saw in Beaumont. It was interesting to walk with someone who could keep up with me. He's sixty six this year and was in the army as part of the Swiss system of national service until he was 42 which means he's also really used to carrying a pack and yomping. Bernard has being paying quite a lot for his quarters on a night but has had the occasional massage to compensate the out lay: I've just got sore shoulders.

Today was the main climb of the route: from Bourg-Argental to Coirolles over the border into Auvergne from Rhônes-de-Alpes at around 1300 metres, where snow lied heavy on the track side. It was up all the way until a lumber yard, with trees felled to be taken away at some point, then a down hiccup to be followed by a final up to the Gîte. At the top I stopped for an apple and dumped the offal meatball from last night, having felt sick all morning from the overwhelmingly meat extravaganza last night (and I'm sure something will come along in the night and eat what I discarded). After siesta in this Accueil Jacquaire I went to see the lady of the house to tell her "vegetarian". Bernard and I are in the 'Chambre' where he claimed the pull out sofa and I got the double bed (I helped him get accommodation, because he's got a smaller guide than the one Robert bought me in Geneva with not so many places to stay, so I'm not being cruel)?

It's turning colder with a stiffening breeze up the valleys. This morning I asked for snow, before I conclude this Camino milarki, so I hope a slight blizzard falls as far as Le Puy, where I will turn North, via Clermont-Ferrand and flee for Dieppe and Brexitland. Must go and say hello the hameau dogs who are hanging about in the sun, out of the wind and laying low.

Comments

Popular Posts