Nine.

It's nice to hit my stride rapidly and regardless of the bad night's sleep. Last night I destroyed Robert's lamp twice, and the second time it was truly broken, then inadvertently I walked into the wrong room, switching the light on in his daughter's bedroom: luckily she was in bed so no incident there and I went next door instead.

After breakfast, a malted oat affair with honey and fruit, the first part of the morning was along the lake and crossing the Rhône into old Geneva and up to the Cathedral, which was closed until ten. Having asked advice I was shown into Home Saint Pierre for a stamping of the credencial and was allowed to have a little more breakfast - bread and creme du Marrons and another coffee. Then it was a straightforward 22 Kms blown all the way by a gusty cold wind known locally as La Bise. In Neydens I ate lunch from 12:15 until one, then I had to go up and over the long foot of a mountain: the grassy part to around 800 metres from a piffling 560 metres having decided to carry onwards.

Robert gave me another fantastic arancini di riso and I used half the loaf with half the avocado which was washed down with lemon water, used the public toilet next to the Ecole de Neydens.

The second section was the longest, but the third part demanded more of my stamina going up a lot. Now I am beside the Gîte d'etape and a jet, with contrails, flies high into the blue above the Velux window.

The Gîte(La Fromagerie) is being renovated for the season, which does not really kick off until April, so I think I am in Ann's son's room in a wonderful house overlooking the valley (where I guess the Rhône runs)? It's a bit expensive here, but the other options were impossible, Robert was very generous yesterday and I managed not to spend a "centime" in Switzerland. It's all good. Just had a shower, meditation and siesta. Another jet passes high overhead and I'm going to get clothed and look round Beaumont without the heavy backpack!

Comments

Popular Posts