Salir

It's a simple village. Where simplicity is the order of the hour. Like yesterday I did a circuit of the centre, around the ruined castle, now I sit opposite the Associação Cultural de Salir with obligatory 20cl Super Bock Stout. The sun is shining... and I am sleeping in an old folks home this evening!

***

And what a day. Fim meio-dia and exhausted. Salir. Staying in an old folks home, gratis! I am on the trail of a true Caminho and two days out of Faro it exists: so now it's forward into the unknown? Not east or west, but straight ahead for another 5 days... It was very wet mid morning and the future depends on getting off to the correct start tomorrow!

The chef in Porto Doce is French. Galo Portuguese/Gallo French. Coq-au-Vin is French... La vin is Portuguese - I didn't ask? Fried bread is clever? Especially if the bread is local? Waste not want not. I asked for piri-piri because I thought he'd not do the meal justice, and I love piri-piri, but it was quite unnecessary... And sobremesa was arroz doce mistranslated as sweet rice because it's not a pudding - in french it's boudin!

***

End of day two and I am still tired, I think as my brain isn't 100%, and was reduced to feelings of guilt as I'd only walked so far(16kms), and mostly it wasn't joyful even though I was in the hills amongst the miasma! Now I enjoy a Super Bock Preta (now known as Super Bock Stout) 20cl and café pequeno (1.50€ for both) at the cultural association... And I have a bed which reminds me of San Clemente,  near to Albecete, with an awful hangover after the first night, frozen to the bone, on Camino del Sureste (where I had to have a rest day after a few days of petrifying loneliness on La Mancha and that hangover) and the morning after the second night in Churreria Juli wearing shorts and a bobble hat continuing, thankfully, without a hangover, and still very cold with a look of disbelief in the locals eyes, but warmed throughout with  the thick chocolate!

Three days of heavy snotty sinuses, but nothing else to suggest I am under the weather?

But I do feel blessed by the folks in the retirement home who have given me shelter, a comfortable bed, some advice, a smile, a radiator and a bottle of água mineral. Nothing was lacking. And the cafe on the main road lends it's self to my needs from 5:30am...

Comments

Popular Posts