Messejana

So far so good. At the crossroads I get a beer as the gentlemen and women of the village bring a giant of a pig to the conclusion of its life. It's a communal project. I've two more biscuits down until the next village after Almeirim in a couple more hours. The butcher sharpens his knives as the set about the carcass. It's Sagres cerveja. I can't escape a beer ... At 10:30am this Saturday morning.

These plains remind me of Meseta and how lonely I get walking through grasslands. To break up the monotony there are millions of caterpillars coming out of their winter cocoons and solitary slugs looking to pair up, if they don't get run over by the very occasional farm vehicle passing along to the field or back again. Those hills north of Faro are memories now!

Lunch time is hopefully ahead in Casével: but I refused the pork sandwich I was offered back at the carcass crossroads because I really need a meat free day today... Is it possible? The non-white church tower signals the time. Noon. I am wilting...

No! Just a sandwich. Ham and cheese. Before I could ask for it without ham I faced the guilt. Again! And I refused the freshly culled pig... Oh well. Drunk guy on firewater already at noon. Keep going. A Sagres Preta and where too next? The end of the day is in Messejana with a very sore left foot! All those farm tracks...

Slow walk in to the centro on the tender left foot. Can I hang around until 7 for dinner (jantar) at the one restaurante... The box is showing a game where the rain is torrential... But it's in Chaves so safe here in Alentejo. Looks like tomorrow will be 20°C as my attention turns back towards Faro. As long I am on a main route on Sunday night I won't have a problem getting back for the 5pm flight? One more day on the Camino then I hitch towards Odemira or just begin hitching back towards Faro Sunday morning...

Excellent food at the only restaurant,
(20€ Bangula) but I had to rush it off as my eyes were closing as I took the final bite of the succulent black pork, which I last had in Mértola some years in the past with the garlic fried bread which was also wonderful... I left the latch off on the entry into the campsite hoping I could get back without calling someone. And now at 8pm it's good night Vienna...

***

Here I go again. Day seven is here. One more day before my attention turns back to Faro, and the UK, on that 5pm flight.

Comments

Popular Posts