Angeiras

The end of day one and I am in a cabin on the campsite, here in Angeiras (Camping Orbitur - Angeiras 18€), which is for the third time on some part of the coastal Caminho - which I have followed since leaving Lisbon in 2021; and so It's another silence I have to myself beneath the pines. Another December too. I just know the weather of today won't last, as it didn't before I was semi stranded in Ă“bidos for three days during a deluge and curfew, but the weather broke then too as I arrived to Figueira do Foz on a glorious evening (when I'd walked for ever; for ever without respite passed the huge Aviator paper facility). It isn't 2021 though, is it???
Caldo for soup. Fine. Lovely bread (Restaurante Lima)! If this was from the bakery, which opens at 6:30am, all will be good. Tomorrow I've to switch to modo peregrinos from the 'semi-pilgrim/semi-tourist' mode I simply had to be in since walking out of Porto along the estuary to that gorgeous, but expensive, experience in the Mercado Food & Drinks (took out 50€ from a Mulitibanco and am struggling to find the shrapnel)! The refrain Miam Miam DoDo is quite correct today.

***

At 2am the dogs began barking up in the woods, around my cabin, so I did the sensible thing and went to use/locate the toilet (it's not raining or too cold outside cabin 543) and once those canine companions shut up for the evening I will be in Lalaland again... It was 32€ for a fully functional cabin, but I've just saved 14€ by disappearing to find the latrine which is a hole in the ground?!?

...

5:30 am an the dogs are howling. Stepping outside at 6am there are plenty of stars showing between the breaks in the clouds. It got colder and, as one strange dream concluded, with both Lola and Ruby dead, I awoke. I've packed my backpack, but put on my joggers before I go and locate this bakery... In the distance I can hear the waves crashing onto the beaches and rocks and there is a subtle breeze shifting the lofty heads of these pines, but nothing to worry about.

Today is the first day proper of the Caminho, with Porto behind. as I think I'll rejoin the correct way a little ahead, as the inland path gets closer to the Costa path, or I keep on next to the coast all the way to Vigo.

Next year they are opening an albergue here, opposite the bakery(Veiga) on the high street, next to the multibanco, as the Caminho Portugues de la Costa becomes more popular. It's the Costa. Going north I am heading to the black coast (was it called that on a sign I read coming along that wooden decking)?

The half moon is high in the sky so I will continue in the predawn with that bright companion... Day two! I've a cheese and ham toastie for breakfast, but where to today?

Comments

Popular Posts