Villafranca del Bierzo. end of day five.

Good morning? The very first hangover of the Camino ... too much Mencía. I threw up. Then I dry retched this morning. Not sure I over did the vino. I am sure I mainly cooked with it, mainly!

Too many chica. Too busy. It got to me. Yesterday was pretty tough coming down into Pontferrada and after the first glass in Molinaseca, with the very lovely caldo(broth) I got vino crazy.

Today's destination is the centre of the wine area here, el Bierzo, but I'll just look? I will not touch ... I should do some washing, sleep well and climb into Galicia on Saturday morning?

***

And stop. A bit boring, straight ahead through suburbia but perfect with a slight hangover. Back In the church square of Pontferrada I had two coffees, two orange juices and a croissant (a little burnt) and it did the trick?

With 1% battery and 1% energy I stopped opposite a Church, again, in Cacabelos and ate a hearty menu del día which helped to solve most of these problems!

After a visit to the local fuente to replenish the flask (aqua not vino) I crossed the bridge feeling too warm in the rain coat, even with a gentle rain falling, so I took off the offending article, carried on up the Carreterra, but suddenly realised I had no phone! Three and a half minutes back the way I came to see it exactly where I took off the coat! Life without this blasted thing is nearing impossible in the 21st century?

Taking the more scenic route away from the main road to Villafranca del Bierzo, up and down through vineyards marching upwards, towards the mountains on either side of the many streams and rivers running through the valley. It's like the point of no return: tomorrow up into the mountains, Galicia (O Cebreiro) and, finally the goal (Santiago de Compostela) is in sight?

Tonight I need to eat hearty and sleep solo, warm, sober and silently... The Albergue de la Piedra seemed too far, but eventually, over the meandering bridge and into the other side of the town I am showered (the first since Monday (perhaps)) and the Hospitalero is washing and drying my heavily soiled bedding: last night I had really severe cold sweats: it seems odd that a few glasses of wine and a lot of food made me so sick ... And now I am beginning to feel a slight sore throat: something that a pilgrim from New Mexico said she was feeling yesterday morning... Close contact with so many persons brings on COVID? Oh well. A good hearty meal and a good night's sleep... Will fix? I bought a hell of a lot of garlic to help restore me.

It's now 5 days since I took antidepressants. It's one of my desperate desires not to be forced into that cul-de-sac of numbness for the umpteen time. On the Camino I am never ever 'sad' in that all encompassing sense. It's true I always miss Lola and good friends when I am in The Way. but they're always here(in my head) with me.

Every couple of days I report back to my mother as I know she likes to know I am safe and haven't fallen to my death in a gully or slipped into a fast running river...

Comments

Popular Posts