just one more sleep!

Slept in, well passed the 6am alarm call, as the phone was off, but I am relieved as I was awake alot in the night: just too humid, no curtain cover with a street light pouring in all night, a very bright emergency exit illumination and, unbelievaby, a bleeding mosquito in November! But I am slowing down today - only two more days... What do I feel. Apart from weary once more? I'll consider it on Chocolate con Churros. The bin men finally woke me at 6:45am.

Municipal albergues. A wonderful night's rest in Palas de Rei is followed by what I am struggling with all the rest of the time. Fair enough the albergue room was sparsely populated, but the snoring carried, as did the usual toilet visits... I am a little oily too from overheating - 20°C in November in Galicia is definitely wrong?

***

Spain's sworn in PM is younger than me! Oh no! I've reached the age when not only footballers but now MPs are kids! Pedro Sanchez Presidente. Slim margin...

***

Two more days! 35kms just now on the ubiquitous scallop shell pointing to a destination ... And I keep asking myself if I am going the right way!?

The aroma of eucalyptus puts me back in Pemberton, WA in July 1999 and riding a bike down from the youth hostel to the town, passing huge Karri trees, to go on the train trip to find rare orchids, etc.

***

And what does it mean? To keep walking towards a 'goal' - the end of the path - which I've walked along so often... To take images, sounds, smells, spirit inside and consider them against the remainder experience? These tall eucalyptus trees hanging silent and still. The various dog barking, whining, crying calls? The back and forth chatter of crows, magpies, sparrows, blackbird? The tumbling of water down into the vales to repeat the cycle going back to the ocean? Those drivers passing east or west? Signs flashing AtenciĆ³n? The graffiti or stickers on the route marker (Cymru Am Byth)? To see the sunlight reflected in the stream which I am walking through? Listening to those who chatter behind me? To break down fallen leaves stamping them into dust? To see fungi forcing itself into the outside world? To let the chatters pass by as I enjoy a few moscatel grapes? Thinking back to Christian from Halle who needed a helicopter to take him to a hospital where his split knee tendon could be mended... And dogs in yonder cage looking out at me as I look at chickens who look at me and as a farmer brings her cows into another pasture.
On his birthday Alex (the Finnish long haired one) and friends found the only private house with a sauna - yup he's only here for the girls as he was intertwined with Bianca which making dinner at Palas de Rei. Like an Adonis with his oiled body, flexing, rippling, ha ha... It's all in my mind! Coffee break on the road side. Another hour and I'll decide if I walk yawningly passed the airport... So I stopped in a second 'red' albergue in three days. No more municipal without curtains! It's literally curtains to the Xunta.

Comments

Popular Posts