day six. Galicia.

I ate well. Making a soup and a spaghetti dish from the various vegetables and the chorizo before hitting the hay. Asleep in no time. Now I am drinking tea on top of Kefir - tea on an empty stomach is a no no - as I await the percolator to produce java beans in the ground floor dining room of Albergue de la Piedra. It's not yet 6...

Meandering around town after 5pm I was looking for a couple of pairs of replacement underpants as these three are developing difficulties in the gusset area: there isn't any material left, but the benefit is that they're airfree/carefree. All clothes are freshly laundered this morning. And I've a pair of Spanish, Astorga, Lana socks to replace the thread bare Smartwool™ ...

***Three hours then a break for coffee, burnt chestnuts and raw burnt hot potatoes*** which may have consequences?
There were none. Coming into Galicia I literally cried. The food carried me all the way up to the final stop, prior to leaving Spain to walk into another world entirely, where a huge piece of chocolate (and something) bollo and a cañja of Estrella Galicia, which is definitely the best macro lager/pilsner/germanic beer in Iberia.It was a wild end to a wet day. In y León sunshine and showers all the time and in Galicia the Atlantic was throwing itself against the great divide, so that it could gouge it's way back where it came - this being the watershed where no Saracen set foot: they were not fool hardy with with its woad faced Celts! But it's taken me 10 years to get here so the tears poured sweetly from these eyesBrendan and I shared a pile of unknown Pork pieces: ears, backbone, etc, without any bread or juice and it was so rich! OK I've washed it down with Godello, but I think it's too rich? Perhaps that's what happened on Thursday night/Friday morning. He's gone. I like to spend a little time alone. I walk alone and I digest alone. 

Comments

Popular Posts