Frómista

After packing away in the municipal albergue I came down to Café Jacobus, Castrojeriz, in an attempt to rebalance my body after another terrible evening of the 'damned' food poisoning and it accompanying broken night's sleep.
Orange, juice, coffee, aqua con gas and tosados con aceite and I will see where I am as the sun reaches it's zenith on this rainy Wednesday ...

But there is also another way out along the main road heading to Palencia if I were to hitchhike away from the Camino Frances and leave it.
Along the Canal de Castille I come to Fromista to the final night in the final albergue municipal - Albergue Municipal Frómista €14. I explained to the hostelera my stomach pain since Burgos so she put me in the smaller dorm: just 4 beds on my own for now. None of the awful disposable bedding sets and I was the first to step over the threshold as an amigo, with a guitar outside the albergue, gave me one of his three apples and smoked a cigarette as I stumbled upstairs. His generosity took me back to the three slices of Domino's pizza and the two German backpacker's, going east not west, before Logroño (which seems like years ago), and the slice I was happy to munch on. Not much of an appetite so the apple is my lunch sorted for today. Siesta is the key now...

... Then a really good shower! So squeaky clean, but still tired.

During last night's broken sleep I dreamt I was in a marathon where I came last. So many people didn't make the end, but those at the front were so frustrated I was taking my time. Perhaps I should be listening to my dreams more: I've done nothing but fly since that morning leaving Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Arriving last is not anti-competitive when there is no race, no checkered flag, no laurels or champagne to waste on the heads of those below you ... Too much food poisoning since Burgos. 

Comments

Popular Posts