Piece Hall

An evening of firsts and lasts.

Came along to the War on Drugs concert at the Piece Hall, in Halifax, with Nick (as he thought I'd like it)?

On another occasion it would be interesting to view the hall and also the part of Halifax we came through in the taxi, wiith its large 'Stray-like' common and the Georgian/Victorian houses pouring down into the Calder valley and into the focal point of the minster and hall.

But the sheer number of people in the venue for the 'gig', and the rigid security which I have no experience of previously, as all my live music visits were in another era, more than a decade ago, when the threat of acts of violence weren't a constant fear.

So I went and got Nick his drinks during the first few songs, and kept trying to locate him amongst the throng - which I eventually did in my head when knew where he was on relation to the others in his sector.

As the music got louder, and the crowd were screaming their joy, I saw that Nick has a true love for live music. This is another dimension to him which I didn't know before. Which I could call a passion.

But I found its intensity too much, and had had my fill of saying 'excuse me' constantly too, so I decided to leave and look around Halifax and wait from him to find me just after 11.

It was the last time I go anywhere near a music event as it sparks off too many fireworks in my head.

Three kids running the Vocation bar, which had a carbon copy of Headrow House's roof terrace, didn't know what a solstice is! At first I thought they were just joking, but truly they had not heard the term and didn't seem to care that the planet has this yearly cycle. It was quiet on the roof terrace 

It's inappropriate to stare, but I always do until someone looks at me then I hasty look away; male or female I can't maintain a gaze when looked back at. I think people will see the darkness in my soul!

Comments

Popular Posts