Ice Cold in Forges

A mighty thunder storm overhead during the night. Slept peacefully until then.

Around 7pm ate the fayre provided by the sœurs, then directly after returning the tray with used plates, cutlery etc. Retired. Sober since Friday. Hopefully this will be a proper clear-headed day along the way? The thunderstorm may have reduced the lunchtime temperature?

Along with the chirping of birds I have the mighty call of a peacock as the elderly sœur opens up the eglise. All packed and ready for day three.

This time I have come away to remember a before the evil of the previous few years where I have turned to alcohol as a substitute for reality. It's untruthfulness has corrupted me. I await now petit dejeuner.

They gave me vinegar for the stings I'd received on my shins, walking a fair distance through talk grass, nettles, brambles, etc, as I stumbled into Feuquieres around 4pm. 

Confronted by impenetrable rapeseed six feet high, where there should be a path, I decided to plunge through and count the nettle and thistle stings at the other side, where the track reappeared (bloody farmers). And all because I refuse to walk 40kms in all directions but towards Rouen. But to walk in France is to reconnect with my soul. With too many aches and pains to consider proper and the sun beating down on my exposed sections, I am heading west, near as damn it, to Forges.

Straight is boring and so are wheat fields, rapeseed fields or corn. So too are relentless woods and so too are rural Chemin. It's pointless. Tramping God knows where for God knows why? But somehow it just waggles the correct levers...

So I went straight. And the nuns parting gift: two huge sausage sandwiches: a picante affair which I think is from Réunion. Stopped. Took another antihistamine as the nettles got overwhelming and changed socks. Now I left the haute behind and have touched another water system: the one which feeds Le Seine I assume or perhaps Le Treport as that's north of here. But I realised it was heading south...

Entering the ancient region Pays en Bray. But am I just walking to get to the next pint? I am desperate to call it a day, but still a few clicks to go before: hallelujah! Ice cold in ...

...

Enjoyed doing today my way, but the distance was still ball busting - 30 kilometres. Tomorrow is going to be up to me too. Now I have another glass of Jupiler to feel sink into my veins. I managed 3 whole days without getting desperate.

Comments

Popular Posts