The past few days.

First night at my mum's for a while - since prior to heading to France on the 6th September - and I forgot how quiet it is before she wakes and gets on with being nearly 80.

My sister had an interview for a new job on Friday, which she was very eager to get, and she's got it. So no more decorating people's homes, and back to being an account manager if she takes it...

Yesterday afternoon I caught the 1455 bus from The Spinney to Hornbeam, getting off near the Woodlands and walking Ruby through Hookstone Woods there and back.

Coming back to hers to feed her, and leave her settled, I came back through Bank Street, which was an error. That one beer pushed me into snacking before bed: cheese! I'd told myself to miss out Wetherby and Harrogate yesterday... One out of two isn't too bad.

Mother is stirring so I'll go and get washed, brush my teeth and then take Lola out for an hour or so once she arrives on the scene?

***

Just after six in Belgrave and. Ploughing through a hard clay in this Huxley novel. It's interesting, but a little disjointed. His style... Just about to return to the flat for a good night's sleep. Monday: I bought new shoes and compression socks to improve my circulation...and help with the tenderness I feel from the left foot: beyond reparation like the other sections of my body!

***

Here we go again: Tuesday. Brownhill and Co. for a half. Visited the private eye clinic to be referred to St James's Hospital as I'll need a General Aesthetic not local 4 to 6 weeks waiting list for another assessment, but they should do both eyes as the cataract is creeping across the other eye. The doctor I saw thought it had nothing really to do with the attack in January 2020 and was related to my 'genes'.

***

Thursday 6th October. Sat with Lola on the sofa in the dark. Last night was the first night I've had to put the mattress on the floor, and have Lola's bed alongside, since June: when it was just her and me. I've missed it to be honest. It might be a bit of a chore, or a ritual, deconstructing the room to accommodate us both comfortably, but it's absolutely worth it to be with just her. It feels like I've neglected her a little, but I had no choice with the way the summer linked up. Either I was house/dog sitting or away walking around Spain (Catalonia) and France. But I just gave her a truly happy cuddle (a little tearful too) because she's my girl...

Yesterday I managed to walk Lola twice, visit the allotment once, pick up Finley from school and have a unbroken night's sleep (with only two short bed hops from Lola who was actually happier in her own space). On Wednesday I sorted out an issue which has arisen from the treatment I had in Rambouillet back in April: I've had a bill for the treatment which should be covered by the EHIC I carry. Finally found an email address for the hospital and contacted the department in the UK who send further information to the healthcare provider to cancel the debt...

This morning I am out with Lola around 8, up to the allotment again to continue weeding, and to clear away those cornstalks I thoughtlessly dropped on top of Andy's (I didn't think what I was doing except I know he now wants me out of the plot...) Around noon I pick up where I left with a dentist appointment to sort out the denture which has been stop start since COVID. Then perhaps back to Leeds, although I may be able to stay this evening and head back Friday afternoon doing something fun with Lola...

***

Stayed overnight. Just eaten the left over broad beans, tomatoes and courgettes I cooked a couple of days previous. Don't know why but they kept me feeling full for a fairly long time when I ate them after I came back from walking Lola in the morning yesterday...

Lola and I caught the 2pm bus to The Stray and walked into H'gate via West Park. Apart from the time I spent on the allotment and at the dentist yesterday I was with her entirely until I left her at my sister's around 6.

We needed that journey together on the bus - her on my lap watching the world go by our window. On Monday I am with Ruby two nights again so I will do something with the pair of them on Tuesday if Lola stays with me up on Chestnut Avenue. Then on Wednesday that'll be it with dog sitting this year - phew. Feel a little less like I have an obligation to perform? On Thursday next week perhaps I can spend a lot of time at the allotment continuing to clear it of weeds and getting it ready again for the spring onslaught?

***

Heading back to Leeds this morning. No dog walking today: Lola won't need a long one so mother can manage that (she says she can).

Comments

Popular Posts