Camí Sant Jaume 1.

End of an endurance sapping day - 40 kilometress from the doorway of the apartment to Santes Creus - there was nowhere to stay in the Abbey/Monastery and the Hostal was firmly locked too.

But from the very noisy cathedral to the utter peace of a Eco Campsite: a few kilometres away from Santes Creus, but a helpful Colombian barmaid got a friend to bring me here in a car: I saw a few yellow arrows so I think it's on the route?

It's closed after the weekend, but they are happy to have me stay. Gratis, but I said I must pay something as it's a bungalow in the woods and they're giving me supper at eight. They are two old folks and their son will come later to take some money from me?

They returned with sheets, cold local spring water and shower gel, but I had a warm, but soap free wash. Now I lay in a bed and count the mosquito bites from the forest between Tarragona and El Catllar. Giants they were landing on my exposed bits!

In El Catllar, when Sunday was catching up with me, I ate a omelette with tomatoes on bread, had a coffee and let Vichy Catalan do its work... And I didn't feel like I was flagging until I finally hit Santa Creus and almost lucked out... The town hall was closed and I didn't venture into the Monastery but looked for the Hostal, saw three folks outside a bar which was closing in several minutes: it's all part of the way... If I hadn't gone there right when I did it would be closed!

***

Back to Santes Creus for pa amb oli, café and Vichy Catalan. Last night ended up being €60. It's was gratis at first, then I suggested €50. But he ran me around before depositing me at the bridge below the Monastery so it's all good: I didn't know where I was going as I walked to the bar where the Colombian barmaid helped me yesterday: Bar del Mig.

It was silent on the campsite, except for the occasion gear shift of the fridge, and I really didn't awake until the alarm at 7am.

***

Crazy day. I decided to follow the GR and not the Camí, as I really didn't want to follow the main road I had passed, so it was over the hills/sierra not around it. But I think getting to Montblanc the other way, also being very naughty and crossing a very derilict bridge in a building site: and having the foreman having it out with me on the other side (like a Troll) warning me of the pitfalls and hazards and the fact I am not wearing any highviz or a hardhat, but I exclaimed 'it is the Camino!' and he grumbled as I was coming to the end of my feet endurance: When you have just walked for several hours you don't need a fucking detour. One day he'll be walking on a Camino and he'll understand. I've crawled through spaces I shouldn't have just to go direct because it's a long way to nowhere... Santiago?!?

Comments

Popular Posts