After the Camí Sant Jaume.

So four days. Until it began to pour it down just as I stepped out from a Menú del Dia in Restaurant L' Isard, the first cheap 'entire' eat at lunch since June ... No where I've passed was open or offered it at the time suitable. Juneda was a crap town to come to a deserted station in a downpour! It was probably a poor reflection of the place as two younger dodgier individuals lingered next to the tracks with me.

Checked into an apartment through Booking.com - cheapest option other than Hotel Goya apart from a couple of room-only Airbnb. Washed clothes and sought a beer. Too expensive really at €5. But it's only a couple.

Autumn is here today. Definitely a change and the leaves are falling from the trees dropping like flies. 

Coming to Gran's Records as it's a Mecca I suppose after the last few days of Caña Estrella Damn. But the music is dreadful - Spanish rap. On entry it was Elvis Presley on aa Russian pressing spinning on one of the two turntables. It'll get better I suppose?

It was a very boring day after leaving the Castell perched above the plain in Maidá as the Way passed pimpled hillocks (Toscal). The clouded vista didn't encourage the mood!

***

Final day. A good meandering around the town and now breakfast! Found the Bishopric after coming down from the Vella Seu and he directed me to the Alberg along the main route into Aragon. Now I know if I ever return I can stay for €20 and continue towards Zaragoza on the Camí Sant Jaume? Managed to sneak a haircut for €10 just down from the Alberg too.

***

On a whim I bought a bottle of wine at the monastery at Poblet but I had no way to consume it yet, and no chance of taking it back to Blighty on the flight due to that liquids ban. This morning I offered it to the gentleman who runs Tu Rai around the corner from the apartment, which only had 5 singles beds - 4 shoved together and made into 'double beds', and nearby the station. He gave me what I paid for it, but I am giving him back the cash by spend the last few minutes in Lleida before the 13:05 direct train to Reus.

***

That return day is always a killer, and especially with a delayed flight of 2 hours. So I arrived at the flat just at midnight, crawled into bed and was soundlessly asleep until my body clock woke me naturally at 6. On the flight, while surrounded by stupid gormless individuals, I briefly passed into dozing so I collected some sleep there.

Here I am again: having forgot the place existed... Fearful of being physically and verbally attacked: by some thoughtlessly vandalising youths on Albion Street I thought here goes - white kids this time as something was uttered but, unlike last time, I didn't respond and kept on up towards the crossroads - expecting all the time for the traffic cone they were chucking around for it to fall on my exposed parts... But it didn't materialize. Further up Albion Street there were a number of police persons around the St John's Centre so I passed smoothly there too.

Back at the flat the bad smell from the drains had returned and I was reminded I can't do a wash due to the blockage effecting the draining away of water. In the next week I will, being back without distractions until around Christmas, sort out the flat's several issues! I might even fit a new toliet seat? 

The trip to Catalonia and the walk since Monday did me the world of good. It's time to have a well earned soak and get ready for the day ahead in Wetherby? 

Comments

Popular Posts