to Crozant.

A beautiful morning. Chatting to two pilgrims finishing here, same as the couple from last night, who are doing it in stages. 5 days out from Bourges to Gargilesse. There is a Gare 10 kilometres away so they're off to catch the train back to home near Besançon. They're off at seven and I will be away by sunrise.

A more challenging aspect to today, by the sound of it, as it's more climbing. But I've not had any climbing to do of this nature since last year in Majorca and I thoroughly enjoyed that experience, until Sòller but even that was fairly enjoyable - if the villages were out of my reach financially? Vallée de la Creuse.

***

An interesting morning through the mist, by the cows in the fields: this is a different France. The wasps are spinning around me now on a filled belly. I made too much pasta with flageolet and lardons then passed out. Keith, the interesting Quebecian, said I slept like a baby. For a few days I've sought the after meal siesta but it hasn't happened for me... The first, but the best. Now I consider buying coffee for the morning as there is none in the Gîte, with it stalls like stables downstairs and the smallest bath going, with its taps sealed off.

Went down the the Hotel du Lac for a Blanche de Namur and the long steep return to finish the long chapter of A Moveable Feast about F Scott Fitzgerald: I must read The Great Gatsby... I finished it with an Orval (11.04.2019) so consider one more and another chapter of A Moveable Feast. Then across the track to the Epicerie and back for more sleep of the finest quality... He's a nice guy this Keith. He thought with his English name we should perhaps swap?

***

Tomorrow is halfway to Limoges. It's been a little frenetic if I am honest. A couple of calm days down to the end of the spear. I need it. It's definitely helped me mentally, and the gorge around here makes my mouth upwards... It's why I came I am sure? All the difficulties of not feeling most of the way, because of its monotony? It is a different monotony looking at distant hills, walking up and down paths which cling like vines to the geology...it's famous for its meat up here and tonight it will be a silence rural France seems cut out to be? Day 13 of this trip away from the monotony of England and tomorrow is the monotony of a funeral...

Comments

Popular Posts