From Cambrils to Tarragona, the hard way!

Went to the promenade and I am left wondering how many ice cream, souvenir, discount shoe and restaurants (where someone stands forcing you in) there ever needs to be? Hundreds. In a universe as amazing and as complicated as this humanity really is so simple: give him a lolly and he'll be so so happy.

Truthfully, I found myself walking at that promenading speed and shouted at myself. Leaving the pointlessness I crossed over the Ramblas and park which separates Cambrils from L'Horta de Santa Maria.
Much like a warning of Dragons: there be Germans beyond the dross of commerciality. So I sat down for a beer - pitiful Estrella Damm (it's Alsatian you know) - and touched base with Nuremberger, Hamburger, and his hund(Nina), then working my way back towards this Fonda I crossed back into Nanaland, but where the locals hung out: Passeig de Francesc Marciá and ate a €5 artisanal pizza(minus the cheese) and a final beer.

It's another day. I've located a café next to where I climbed off the bus last Tuesday. It's been a thoroughly intense 10 days... INXS comes on the radio as I umm and ahh about walking back to Tarragona...it's already getting to me - the heat! Slept very well however... But now I am utterly bored of Catalonia ... If I ever returned it's back to the north around Girona to go on the official Camí Catalan. But never again in the summer months!!!

***

And I am crazy. Here I am on the beach just north of the old town drinking El Águila after 35 plus kilometres. Had a large lunch in Constani then walked down to the 'river' - drought conditions have made it entirely absent.

Pepe's Lugano on Platja d'Arrabassada to consider the Hostal without Aircon. On a day like this. It's the final hurdle, but I managed in Australia all summer long there: only mum and dad had Aircon: a National thing on the window frame. Mother was the one who needed most physical relief from Australia. Dad loved it: but he'd been in a tank in Benghazi!

€3.50 for a bottle of beer! Ouch. I moved down to the end beach bar: where I stopped for breakfast a previous time...just one. I need to eat reasonably. I am not going back to Tarragona for love nor money.

Here it's a different pace and not so unreal. El Xiri. The sun can't vanish, this evening, soon enough. People will probably talk about the insanity of Spain's June of 2022 for a few minutes...

I seriously limited my intake of beer this time out. I knew that there is a brew pub in the centre, and it's not a bad one, but chose to walk to the very end of Tarragona to sleep in a natural room: no Aircon, so I would be miles from the temptation. I've all day tomorrow to be here so I should use the Mediterranean first thing!

***

A good night's sleep. It was warm, but not insanely so without Aircon, but I couldn't sleep through the train noises: the mainline north from Tarragona freight going north and south regularly all through the night. Some churchbells peeled every hour so I was aware it was midnight and also around 3.

***

Those who gamble so early in the morning are unable to operate their addictions. At 7:15 I have my coffee, they are getting packets of cigarettes or putting all their attention on the one armed bandito. I didn't bother with the sea after all. I walked back to town. Yesterday was a lot of exhausting perpetual motion. In Consanti I asked the Ayuntamiento about any Alberg, but a very abrupt individual hardly allowed me a word before he showed me the door... At the tourist information here in Tarragona, who were very helpful, I tried to connect with those who organise the Camino from here, but they had nowhere specific as an option to sleep and the seminari behind the cathedral didn't answer the phone so I went a long way passed the Plaça de la Font...

Comments

Popular Posts