another chapter on the Delta.

Just met a guy who rescues dogs who are in need. His father was blown up by ETA when he was only 4 so he and his mother left the province never to return. The man was also afraid of explosions... The special dog was a 7 year old guardian livestock breed with six toes on its feet. Apparently it was rescued because it was beaten. The previous owner is hanging from a meat hook in his groin, in a long forgotten abattoir, somewhere north of Deltebre. He'd found a puppy girl abandoned and that was his other companion.

Why do humans do it? I wish I could fathom our cruelty to nature, animals, those we've domesticated and ourselves... I couldn't kill a fish! I struggle when I see insects slowly running out of energy in a sweltering greenhouse. We're present and absent from the death of so many: like me and my reaction to bed bugs. There just trying to raise a family too...

Came back, ate the left overs with bread and had a glass of vino accompanied by a couple of yogurt Madeleines.

***

Slept straight through until I set the alarm for the start of dawn and I didn't notice the sounds of the distant explosions. I want to be walking come 7 towards the mouth of the river. Ideally before the golden sunrise. Just had coffee... Now about to have a clearance... Then rice pudding for breakfast. Then away.

I will carry the sack on my back as I need a means of carrying water! Really I can't stand still in one place for long. I've a base, but I struggle just to stay here only. As I don't watch TV much anymore there is none of that to distract me.

Amazing sensory experience: walking the path between the canal with its reeds and the roadside, with its rosemary and pink flowering shrub - oleander - is like walking through a continuous spider's web. The remnants of the threads of spiderlings silk, as they took flight in the breeze to found a new colony, are my gossamer  raiments. As I walk I gather more and more of the finery until I am cocooned in their escape; divine. I could construct a garment from the billions of micron thin cords.

At the end of the Delta before I return almost the way I came. But nothing is the same as time was and is no more. All we have is now.
Stopped for a couple of tortilla filled baguettes (flauta) in a bakery - Fresquet - milling with folks and their dogs and a humidity increasing with the narrowing of the land verses the waterscape.

Comments

Popular Posts