South Downs Way way way way

Mike and I walked slowly on the Pilgrim's Way. After the morning onto the South Downs I realise how steady we were. Talking was the main gear of the travel. Here it has been the need to reach respite, repase, rest, relaxation, shoes off, etc.

My left foot finally played silly buggers so I reduced to sandals and, in the final few pastures, I took to barefoot and minded where I stepped around cow pats, nettles and over gravelly styles.

Expensive but excellent: The Shoe Inn. I've stopped long enough to recharge all batteries. Then I must pick up something for the evening... setting off for the Sustainability Centre up ahead: it has an eco hostel, but no dormitories, just a small private room @ £48.

Two other walkers overlook me, but they're carrying a fraction of my weight and only started out from Winchester this morning. One gave me a couple of snack bars and the other slowed me down. It helped me get to Exton.

Food in the Shoe Inn £28 with a beer. I had another Wadworth 6X and a coffee. They bake bread which is wonderful and it's tempting but I really don't want to carry a 2lb loaf...

... But I did anyway. They weigh it so I got the smallest. Or was it just £2 a loaf regardless? After buying Old Winchester and a litre of Meon cider(now in the flask instead of water) I am heading along the South Downs Bridleway as I'd left the Way before Exton: 2 miles to Old Winchester Hill.

***
 
A swig of Meon Cider and I feel like I am writing Mein Kampf all over my body! Tough going up to the ancient hill fort but highly worth it. Not too far to go this afternoon, perhaps I'll stop struggling with myself around 6?

Psst: don't let anyone know, but I noticed the Monarchs Way hereabouts and I think I was on that back in 2021 around Bridgwater, so I've ditched the South Downs Way for the directer route to the Eco Hostel.

Comments

Popular Posts