Some thoughts

This morning, after I left the flat around 11, and since noon I have been perambulating around Leeds University Campus. It's the first time I've set foot in the Refectory and the Terrace Bar since Autumn 2001 when I was deciding not to continue with the PGCE. Knottingley High School and The Dixon Academy in Bradford didn't instill me with any confidence and I was having trouble paying any attention to lectures in the monolithic structure known as the Roger Stevens Lecture Halls. I've since grown to quite like Brutalist architecture, but back then it just reminded me of the awful 1970s, and I just didn't understand what the lecturer was rabbiting on about Pastoralism/Pastoral Care I thought pastoralism was sheep going baa baa or something related to the Romantic Poets; wondering lonely as a cloud?

It's a poor day weatherwise and I think it's got everyone's mood crumpled. But the Allotment needs rain when I can't tend to the tomatoes. It's still May and one must remember it's not time to cast clothing aside for nakedness? Some girls think it's June in their semi-nudity...

***

Whistle Punks Urban Axe Throwing... Whatever next? Controlled bomb disposal detonation?

***

The morning after. Stumbled home across Lovell Park after one final Hacker Pschorr Kellerbier(£5 Brunswick) around 8pm.

They had some exceptional beers on tap in Brownhill and Co so I drank my fill talking to a guy from Barnsley and then one from Pakistan. I went off to sit down and eat a Pizza Fella Margherita - simply the best way to cool down and stop drunkenness in its track. Pizza is so beautiful if done correctly, but I don't agree that pineapple shouldn't be on a pizza! Shredded/grated pineapple and home baked ham is an excellent topping in my opinion.

***

Saturday morning. My mood is a little bit better. Perhaps I was getting things out of proportion? It's only an allotment and it's only money... 

Morning chorus and traffic noise along North Street. I must break free by September from this vicious circle: the world is a huge place and I am larger than what I am currently being... I know there is another Way. I've been on it...

***

Yesterday morning I cleaned the old Altberg walking boots, down to the leather, taking off a couple of years wax treatments, etc so I may get a little more out of them. I'll treat them again after they've naturally dried.

This morning I am walking Lola then up to the allotment and afterwards meeting up with Jason and Nick, but I want to go for a long walk on Sunday so I need to be careful... I've not gone distance since the first day of the South Downs Way back the previous week.

Time to get up and about: bath, pack and bus.
  

Comments

Popular Posts