Dawn on Day Five - Day off

Because there was no chance of a coach/bus until 1800 this evening from Chartres to Orléans I decided better to get a lift with BlaBlaCar from 11am to get me there around noon. I've written to the representative of the local Amis Saint Jacques in Orléans, Compostelle 45, to see if I can stay on Sunday night in the Halte Jacquaire before I set off again Monday through to Saturday when I must head for Limoges and one nights accommodation there, before returning to the UK.

The Presidential Election here in France, from the 10th, has put me off walking that week from the 11th and it's Palm Sunday on the 10th so it would be a sensible time to return for Easter Week to the UK - and dog sitting duties afterwards. 

The price of flights after the 10th skyrockets because that is during the main week/2 weeks of schools Easter holidays which suggests it is sensible not to be caught paying €150 for a €12.99 flight...

10 days on The Way is better for my mental health than zero days.

***

Yesterday I had a few local beers in a couple of locations around the centre. After a saucisson sec, fromage and pan I needed sleep so badly no amount of beer could tempt me to stay, and it's €6 a bottle for even local stuff. 

I didn't hear from the person I'd stayed with previously - perhaps once was enough for him? So I stayed in the Hôstellerie Saint Yves (€28 B&B - prix pelerin €15 for a bed). Had a long hot shower and slept well, considering there was some noise from another room - the fan in the bathroom - regularly. Awoke at 4 and rolled over until 6. 

***

And I forgot about people. This is the first place where I've had breakfast with others around me and I am struggling. The girl serving is nice, the American couple weren't - he smelled damp (it's an ex-monastery and is going to be a bit damp) and they just couldn't wait to get inside and compare and contrast with how things are at home. Give me just me, alone, on the way again tomorrow. It's all good. Let them pass: they had no idea where they were. COVID is over and the dreaded Americans are back ... Noooo!

Comments

Popular Posts