Day One

Is there a kitchen for me to make a coffee? Awake at 6:15am, breakfast not for another hour. Slept well in very quiet Montmartre.

It's was quite a climb to get to the Guesthouse in time for diner, which I missed, but they had saved some food for me... A bowl of soup, a ragot de Bolognese and plenty of bread.

Part of me says don't breakfast here as it was only €4, but what is an hour? I always am a little anxious prior to starting these schemes. But only 23kms from Tour Saint Jacques to Vauhallan, a bit further if I walk from Montmartre, which I should as that's the way. It will be a relief to be out of Paris with it's distractions. Luckily I don't care about Moulin Rouge, Louvre etc.

This morning I will be putting one foot in front of the other all day long... I will walk, but I will have a proper break around one if I leave here on the dot of 8...thirty.

***

A finger infection. Having an allotment brings with it hazards. Humans are frail. It's not pulsating yet, but it's got a huge swelling. This is part of being over 50 years. So trivial, but right at the heart of my matter.

***

I am going to let today be. Let it be. Find its own way to wherever I am. Take it easy. Float on downstream, but only dead fish go with the flow...

***

Stripped the bed, packed up as tightly as possible - I've too much clothing (but the weather is meant to deteriorate so I will need thermals) - and now sat in Salle de Cuisine. I am carrying 12kgs. One quarter my body weight. Less! I weigh 80kg so I should be able to accommodate?

***

Stopped for a nice plate of a Réunion sausage casserole - Rougail in Sceaux just when I absolutely needed to collapse. Paris goes on forever and a packet of nuts is not enough...Plaisirs des Thés was a genuine French restaurant and the Rhubarb and Almond Tarte was supreme! 

***

Just had a much needed shower, as it chucks it down on the fields outside my warm guesthouse room at the Abbey Saint Louis du Temple de Limon.

But my brain isn't clicking yet! I feel that 30 plus kilometres out of Paris was just a killer... Very little greenery until I hit the Forêt Verrieèes then I knew I'd left Paris. Real France once more.

Things got a little worrying as I didn't know where to stay on Thursday - the Miam Miam Dodo has nowhere for too long, very unusual for the guide. Calling the Accueil Pelerin in Paris helped me for tomorrow at least...  Dampierre is my destination. It's a lot closer than today's Etape was... Pavement bashing 30 plus kilometres is awful! 

Comments

Popular Posts