Tuesday evening, with Ruby

A Victorian clock ticking, melancholy
Upon the wall and slicing seconds,
And minutes, hours, days; enough.

Ruby, the Vizsla, sleeps through it
Without blinking, her head hanging.
Arms and legs knotted together
Relaxed, she is, beyond any recall.

So often today I've called 'come',
But the Swift's have won every say!
Now claws and paws pad no more.
She has such soft posterior regions:
Shammy ears, smooth belly, velvety toes
And a pleasing silence.
...
But then there is a noise below
And off she bolts to the bottom fence
When I thought she'd gone...

In the distance a siren
And a ball being kicked
Enticing her back I guide her
Inside.

She's returned to 'their' bed
And I gobble water biscuits
And Ossau Iraty.
Stillness surrounds the dusk.

The clock strikes 8
And I'm upstairs climbing asleep
To beckon her to cuddle next to me.
And she does!

Comments

Popular Posts