Nearly the Quantocks

In Pedwell a retired couple helped me to recover from the attack of hayfever. She made me a strong tea with plenty of sugar. He slipped me a twenty pound note and told me to enjoy a Ploughman's lunch. Finding nowhere open I made my own picnic. The cash went into cider!

Had a half an hour break and brunch in Spaxton. The ladies in the Post Office Village Shop were very helpful and even made me a cafeterie coffee. I've just eaten the strawberries from Warren's Fruit Farm, but I am almost out of energy today. It's so humid. A few tempting spots of rain taking the piss! Set off again at just gone eleven down ancient footways to the Pomewater Lane Greenway and I'm hoping to stumble to the Foxy Bean Cafe shortly. Exhausted.

That was a very tiring 11 miles. Tomorrow must be different as I really need to be nearer to Lynton than I am today. Nether Stowey is a pretty village at the base of the Quantocks. Tomorrow I go back up the hill on Castle Street to join the Coleridge Way which will reconnect with the Samaritan's Way at Moonsilver.

Tonight I need a peaceful solid night's rest so I chose to stay in a comfortable B&B, The Old Cider House, which is slightly cheaper than the two Airbnb options I saw (£65). The guy who runs the establishment brews beer and supplies it to the George - 72 pints of it: Firkin. With two breakfasts one continental at 7 am and a packup English breakfast I'll not be stop starting tomorrow. It's got a huge bed and I had a long refreshing shower followed by 40 winks. Most Airbnb's don't do breakfasts now, they used to. The couple that didn't I've stayed at in the past I complained about and got a refund of my stay.

Comments

Popular Posts