A sleep deprived second day.

Didn't sleep well with the church bell cacophony every 15 minutes all through the night.

Now I wait by the ancient monument in Westbury sub Mendips for the bus into Wells to find a large breakfast. From there I'll find another way to Glastonbury and, perhaps, Street?

While waiting for the bus from Weston-super-Mare I'm finally conquered by hay fever. I felt it a little during the night but walking through those 3 miles of fields between Cheddar and Westbury has done me in...

... Full English up by the Bishop's Eye from TWENTYONE. I'm passing through Wells. That's twice in my lifetime. Suddenly I'm retracing my footsteps back the way I came in 2010 at the end of my summer in Padstow: not literally as I didn't walk that time.

Leaving Wells behind after a great breakfast via the Bishop's Palace and Moated complex - there isn't a single thing Godly amongst all these heavy stones and fetid waters. How did a simple message get so distorted into a palatial dwelling and a barrier between the god fearing and the god manipulating? I will never understand how!

I've walked up to the Tor before, 2010, this time I'm walking up Old Wells Road onto the High Street, and maybe move on to Street itself? Bit I must stop for a light-hearted refreshment. Something local, apple-y and unpasteurised: Hecks if it still exists in these parts.

...

That was a mini Tor. I took a direct route which is Roman as it was steep. No amount of sustenance works on a sleep deprived mind. Even on a sober one. I know there is a remedy: blindfold and ear plugs, but I just can't bring myself to believe it's what I need as a 49 year old.

Having weighed up the pros and cons I'm not camping at Walton, it looks to be close to the main road to Bridgewater, so it's £44 to stay in an Airbnb. Last time I was in Glastonbury there was a backpackers (2010) but the wheels of fortune have moved on and it's now a boutique hotel... And I'm next door (George and Pilgrim) still enjoying a Hecks.

Comments

Popular Posts