Franziskaner Kreuz.

Beginning of day five and I'm awake by 5. Had an exceptional night's sleep, except for when I stretched into a full yawn and strained my tendon too much - if that is all it actually is? The pain in all of my arm has localised to a point below the shoulder socket: probably needs an X-ray?

Suddenly I'm quite excited by the prospect of following the course of a well researched Roman Road. So few exist above modern roads or are no longer rights of way - as they pass under landowners fields.

With a Franziskaner Kreuz around my neck I feel invincible as though it was a amulet with a protective power! Oh, the memories I have of other Camino where I wore it with pride. Although Francis of Assisi became incorporated into the Vatican I don't see that that prevents the simplicity of his original vision, which we very much need in the multiplex layered interleaved world where chaos seems to have us by the proverbials. It's only a wooden semi cross: more like a stylised 'T' but I know what a mission Francis was on - well at least I read a biography or two.

As the kitchen clock ticks towards 6:30, and I finished another cup of Joe, I'm about to do necessities, pack away and head off with the sunrise around 7. I've Rindwürst, kartoffel and ei for the trip, but first it's to the Bäckerei across the street. Now the bells of the Kloster chapel ring for the first time today.

...

Now at 10:15 I think I deserve a break! It's suddenly very heavy going - It must've rained considerably around here. The Ausonius Way passes the edges of waterlogged fields so I'm carrying it with me! 15 kilometres in three hours feels slow today. Simmern is the midway town on today's stage. Busy Café it is.

...


Then the heavens opened. As I plodded, heavily laden, through a neverending forest it seemed like the last 2 kilometres was much more like 5. Once I hit Kirchberg the rain was as heavy as anything I'd seen and everywhere was shut or shuting and I was instructed to get cheap and local food in Die Zwiekel - on the end of town. Just in good time too I'm served potato dumplings - gefüllte Klöße - with a ham filling and apple sauce! A warm fire to warm up the outside as the good German winter fayre brings me back from hyperthermia! Very happy after one Kirner Stubbi and three Weizen as my socks steam over the pellet fed firebreather (currently urging the rain to stop on my fourth Weizen)!

Comments

Popular Posts