Bingen Crossly!

Following the remains of the Roman wall, with the Rhine hidden to my right, I'm going fly straight as a skillfully thrown javelin towards Bingen today. The Jakobsweg in Mainz is very silly as it appears wriggle without getting free from Mainz for too long! This Jakobus Hessenische is not all that practical! I've decided to head due west, stay high above the Rhine, pass the Gutenberg University and head to Ingelheim am Rhein.

...

The sun shining to my left offers me relief from negative mindgames as I stuggle to find another bed for the night! Blossom is spreading either side as I come down the Jakobsweg to the Rhine at Bingen. The Jugendherberge seems to be another expensive option and I wonder if this Pilgerweg really hasn't been backed up with any rational means of not becoming destitute on the Way! Pyramidal piles of stones on the roadside verges does suggest many walk through here, but perhaps it's 99% superannuated octogenarians only?

...

Thank you Mark! Saved by Mr Watson. As Bingen loomed, and I had less chance of finding anywhere to kip, he suggested I catch the ferry to Rüdesheim and stay there - because Bingen is a bit of a shit town - apparently - in a wonderful area and, probably, the tourist information and Pfarrbüro would've let me go to another zero emotion Jugendherbergen for €40, at least, because they don't really care one jot for me walking 45 kilometres from Mainz to Bingen for God!

...

Faces without emotion. This is Hotel Höhn. I arrived at seven this evening. The boss saw me but never moved an inch. A girl came, splashed with olive oil, to take my information 'do you want breakfast?' so I answered 'is it included in the booking?' she said 'no. It's ten Euros" I relied "nein, I'll look elsewhere" - still no expression. With this gap in my teeth, shorts and backpack I think I might've frightened them as they seemed concerned I might stay more than two nights... So they've never heard of the Jakobsweg either - it's always one night and on - but I don't know if the local association have any inkling of how difficult is this Weg with their inability to provide links to locals, etc. For instance isn't there a amigo/amis network?

The last thing I really want is to see Germany as an impossible venture into the "unknown" on the Way but it's becoming clear it is. As comparison the area on the Rhône was overwhelmed with family, church and community places to rest my head. In the Rhine none, except Mike and Steffi and they're not from this part of Germany anyway(and are not on the way)! Give one clear day please. Away from pleading and kneeling and abasing myself Infront of the men of the cloth who should know better!

Postscript:

A great friend, who is a Germanophile, helped tonight. He wanted me to go to Rüdesheim so I did. Thank God for friends. Tomorrow I really want to carry on the Jakobsweg, but I'm feeling this is my way to grasp so I should just walk another 45 Kms through to Boppard or somewhere thence head west to Trier? By the morning I will have caught the sunrise and left this thought behind? I'm in the Rhine and I must cross to the Mosel.

Comments

Popular Posts