Heading strictly West.

Is there a shorter route today rather that 36 kilometres over three 500 metre hills?Not constantly on tarmac, not on the main roads and pleasant enough. Most of "modern" interpretations the Way of Saint James visit every church, chapel and cross on the road side which means that the route can often go backwards a while before the destination is back ahead of you! Today it does that too - definitely after Vals.

It's a bit later start for me this morning and the shorter means of arriving in Pamier is calling me: voie verte : an old railway route. No hills, not backwards to go forwards: Saint Jean Pied-de-Port is far away enough!

So I'm late? Well I've bread, cheese, olives and tomatoes. As it passes nine, and I'm behind my usual departure time (I don't like walking after midday!) I will use the disused railway track. My belly is distended with Andouillette : bizarre but pleasant French only style sausage which even includes the oink I'm sure! A coffee then depart from the Bastide out the west porte.

Comments

Popular Posts