getting to Vila Real de Santò António

There is always the same "essential" work being done by the night guy. Cleaning the floors. Outside in the corridor, next to the door (with its gap between it and the room I try to sleep in) and it's just gone 5am and I am a bit cold in bed too. Tiled rooms keep very little warmth. Thankfully I've a duvet and I can put on some clothes too. But now, at 5:30am I am pretty well awake.

Yesterday was a long day. From yawning awake at 6am until I floated away on the lullaby being played on the honky-tonk piano by the good pianist. There were a group of three girls. I applauded one tune, when I passed by on the way to one of many toilet breaks(having drunk around 3 litres since the flight) and thought I had recognised another by Wim Mertens who is someone I'd stumbled upon during another period of my life.

Mum has suggested I reflect upon the situation betwixt us. That's all I ever do. In the last year I've begun to see that I am the elephant in the room. No one else is to blame. I am the core problem in the world I see as I project it from my feelings.

***

Left the hostel to seek coffee. Last time the night guy had coffee ready in the morning, this morning the girl mopping the corridors didn't. I've headed to the central market as the proprietor of Palhacinho is opening up shop. The train leaves from Bom João at 7:23am...

I don't believe that the hostel is value for money at 23€, on the door, with no access to the kitchen, officially, before 7am. It's the final time. Next time will be on the beach?

On the train heading towards the Spanish border...

To stop. I am frazzled. Like over done bacon a little too crispy - everything hurts! Yesterday was long and that limited sleep... I have stopped to eat, stop and forget at Casa Velha in Cacela Velha. But I've the afternoon ahead. At the estuary of Ría Formosa as it spralls between the ocean and the fertile pleasant. Just eat a fantastic soup after two of those legendary Manna fish paste (tuna and sardine) and brilliant bread; this is going to cost me deep in the purse? 

Fantastic food, followed by a very tired afternoon. Hitching twice between Cacela Velha, Altura and Vila Real de Santa Antonio. And it cost me deep in the purse. Tomorrow I head to the hinterland as the Costa is not cost effective ...

By the river, as a couple tie up their Rent a Bike hirelings and with a blackbird singing in the palm tree to my right and behind. The sun sank into the west as I slept for a few moments. It's Spain over there. Not for a few days. I've this country first. With a good night's sleep in the hostal - Residência Matos Pereira and I am still jaded, frazzled... Etc. I am being called by the bed, silence and the future. I've been here before in 2016 when I was a 'tourist' - possibly the last time - on my way to Mértola and I have to again tomorrow, but I don't want to rush. There is all day and none of the corridor distractions of Hostel Tilia tonight?

Comments

Popular Posts