Monday 30th May.

Alongside the bus stop on Boar Lane there are three individuals actually sleeping rough in the doorways. Two by the fire exit for the Crown Plaza and another in the disused entrance to Cosmo Deluxe(closed prior to COVID). Is it a lifestyle choice? I don't know how anyone can manage to sleep surrounded by the detritus of city life: dropped McDonald's containers, the march of feet heading to work, or home from the nightshift, droppings: the grime of falling exhaust fumes.

There are too many faux homeless, who are really vermin, but those who are forced to sleep against the wind, rain and tread of feet is on a level of will I cannot comprehend. And why are they in doorways when so many properties in Leeds are vacant? Everyone is entitled to a good night's sleep. It's a human right - it's an 'everything' right: no living being can function without a good night's rest, but to be sleep deprived is insane: I know from late night insomnia just how unsteady I am the next day.

When I was younger, in my teens: when we finished A levels, a group of us went on a sleepless LSD binge at the Copse and after 2 nights without sleep camping out I had to go and sleep an entire day. I missed a complete 24 hours as I went to bed on Tuesday morning and woke Wednesday morning; and the camping continued but with a different set of individuals. I think Andy B and I were the only two there more or less all week: letting our hair down before the summer holidays.

That long week commenced after a disco that the Wynne's put on at the Buck Inn on the B1224 and where Andy B and I bought a strip of acid tabs(20 I think) called testtubes with images of dancing testtubes on each in an array of differing colours.

***

Back to Leeds on the X99 because there are no school kids this week: 'and relax' feelings. Walked Lola twice: an hour then half an hour so I could catch the bus. Was hoping to reach the allotment today, but the weather is a bit up and down. Managed to transfer two tomato plants into large containers in Adrian's (mum's neighbour) back garden. I've ten plants in total for him to 'guard with his life' this summer.  I was meant to give Andy from the allotment two of my heirlooms, but he'll have to do with me giving him a selection once they start producing up at the plot; the weather is about to improve once May has shifted into June: just in time for the Jubilee...
 

Comments

Popular Posts