Trier.

The earliest and cheapest flight I can get to return to the UK is on Friday from Luxembourg. Never been to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg really, although Glenn and I went through the duchy on our way from Metz to Liege with a BlaBlaCar host.

It's another 4 days from Trier to Metz which might be 3 for me if I walk distance and miss out one suggested halt? However the flight isn't until the evening so it'd be ideal to get a Flixbus direct from Metz to the airport and have Thursday night in Metz (hopefully in gites d'etape/auberge set aside for pelerins). So I should slow down the next four days and take it all in! I am tired this evening so I really should have an early night.

It is raining lightly and it's deathly quiet on the streets, but I should probably eat. Perhaps not typical German fayre although it might be the best thing to put me into LaLaLand?

Here I am a Früh establishment and I don't feel the menu and I've never really cared for Kölsch so just two 0.2l glasses and I'll keep meandering back to the Kolpinghaus Warsberger and call it a day?

Zum Domstein has been staring at me every time I walked passed - with the word Weinstübe written large. Yesterday is not going to occur this evening! There is no way! But I don't need to get up that early tomorrow? Could be away at nine and take it leisurely? I've been rushing just a bit as I was in "no man's land" - the vast area between Rhine, Nähe and Mosel.

Why did the Romans drive a road from Trier to Bingen when they had the river always at their disposal? Building roads was definitely a statement of Romans might so, regardless of the necessity, they did it anyway. Beyond the Rhine was Germania and it was dangerous (Augustus famously lost 3 legions there at the battle of the Teutoburg Forest), but the wealth to be sourced between the Rhine and Mosel (and the Main) made it inevitable.

Fantastic Knuckle of pork, potatoes and Sauerkraut which is all my body would allow! Finished. Bed! Exhausted...


Comments

Popular Posts