Leaving Bad Vilbel.

Really I need to start the Jakobsweg again and now, with fresh legs after a hot soak last night, I decided walking from Mike and Steffi's home near Bad Vilbel using the many other "Wegs" radiating across Germany.  I can come to Höchst, connect back up with the route out from Frankfurt towards Trier and hopefully find a place to sleep.

Yesterday was a long tiring day, but it was definitely worth not walking the Jakobsweg. With a worsening hangover i reached Frankfurt Süd bahnhof around eight thirty from Gelnhausen. Found an Backer Effeler and ate scrambled eggs while fighting off cold sweats: Apfelwein is lethal. Met the people who organise the pilgerweg for Hessen (as well as elsewhere in Germany) in Niederad, at the Vamonos 2020 Pilgerbörse, and collected a little more information about places to sleep after Bingen and a stamp for my Credential.

Feeling much worse around noon I caught the number 12 tram to meet Mike, Werner and the Arabian horse Jenny. On route I bought a Brottrunk - which is a little like Kvass - and drunk it in one go. The acidity of it and my queasy state allowed me half an hour before I had to find a sheltered spot to puke up the remnants of scrambled eggs, orange segments and all the Brottrunk. For a while I felt better and, just as I thought I'd not find Jenny, I glanced up and over to my left, coming from the main Brücke to Offenbach and back to Alt-Fechenheim there she was. I walked over, gave her an apple I can't eat with these missing front teeth and sat on my rucksack waiting from Mike and Werner.

By the Nidda, covered in mud, a Maserati passes by and splashes me from a murky puddle. A church bell clangs to my right while the Nidda, bloated, rushes to meet it's end! Another bell chimes eleven.

What is it to "feel sorry? Often this is said in the UK when something "horrendous" has happened to someone else. Is it a statement of guilt or is it a way of saying aren't I fortunate and although this could be happening to me it's not - but have no idea what it is like to suffer? Really I don't understand "feel sorry", but I have suffered.

Suddenly, quite as I needed a natural break appeared Restaurant Nidda, on the edge of Hausen, and it's a curry house. Which means I can eat Daal - without front teeth it's perfect!

Comments

Popular Posts